In Death's Shadow



by Mara Delaney


In shadowed realms where death’s cold fingers creep,  

A mournful tale, my heart cannot unweave,  

Where in the midnight’s dim and sullen sweep,  

A haunting love does twist, deceive, and grieve.


Her visage shines, a moonlit darkly fair,  

With beauty that no mortal gaze can meet,  

Yet ‘tis a curse to see and not to share,  

To love in silence, cold, incomplete.


Upon the grave’s edge, where death's chill breath does chill,  

My soul is trapped in spectral, mournful sway;  

Her grace is moonlight on a winter’s hill,  

An endless lure, yet ever out of day.


Her eyes, twin stars in desolate expanse,  

Reflect a light I know I cannot know;  

Her lips, though silent, hold a cursed chance,  

To wound with love where shadows deeply grow.


Yet death, relentless, shadows every dream,  

And though my heart would burst in ardent plea,  

She remains distant, like a fading gleam,  

Her beauty taints the dusk with cruel decree.


Here I dwell where life and love are dead,  

A specter ‘neath the darkened heavens cast,  

Her form a wraith that through my thoughts has tread,  

While death’s embrace around me holds steadfast.


The night, a shroud that cloaks my longing woe,  

For in this grave of love, no light shall seep;  

The beauty of the dream I cannot know,  

And death’s own shadow claims the love I keep.


Popular posts from this blog

Vol.1 October '24

Review: Max Series ‘Salem’s Lot A Reimagining That Haunts and Thrills

The Witch of Dracula